Saturday, September 10, 2011

Jon Huntsman: GOP can't run from science


The science of climate change was a topic of debate at the September 7, 2011 Republican Presidential Debate held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California. Jon Huntsman, the former Governor of Utah and U.S.  Ambassador to China, told fellow Republicans that “we can’t run from science” and win in 2012.

John Harris, Politico: You yourself have said the party is in danger of becoming anti- science. Who on this stage is anti-science?
Jon Huntsman: Listen, when you make comments that fly in the face of what 98 out of 100 climate scientists have said, when you call into question the science of evolution, all I'm saying is that, in order for the Republican Party to win, we can't run from science. We can't run from mainstream conservative philosophy. We've got to win voters.
We've got to do what I did as governor, when I was re-elected. We reached out and we brought in independents. I got independents. I got conservative Democrats. If we're going to win in 2012, we've got to make sure that we have somebody who can win based upon numbers of the math that will get us there. And by making comments that basically don't reflect the reality of the situation, we turn people off.
Number two, we've got to have somebody who can lead. This president was successful in getting elected. He can't lead this country. He can't even lead his own party.
I'm here to tell you: I can get elected. I can bring the numbers together to make this successful in 2012. And I can lead based upon where I've been as governor.

No comments:

Post a Comment